Sunday, August 11, 2013

If it keeps getting better and better, Oh Lord, I don't know what I'm gonna do.

Yep, that's an old time gospel song I used to sing during church.

Once upon a time

I grew up in a wonderful church in Montgomery, Alabama.  This was in a great middle-class working neighborhood.  We all went to school together, well most of us.  We all had parents who loved us, and gave us their best.  Our youth choir boasted 50+ voices strong.  And, our parents always had after rehearsal snacks.

We went on youth trips, had naughty little outings like "rolling yards," and everyone dated at least one person once.  VBS was conducted during the day and we all marched in like the hymn reads, "onward Christians soldiers."  We pledged the American, Flag, the Christian Flag, and the Holy Bible.  And, after a great day, enjoyed 2 cookies, and a cup of cold Koolaid!  Yummylicious.

Such are the great memories I hold from childhood regarding my Christian upbringing.  But, most importantly, I learned God loves me, and wants to have a personal relationship with me.  I did accept His gift of eternal life through the grace Jesus, God's son, provided.  And, I'm an heir to the Kingdom of God.

The rigors of life have pushed and pulled at me these 50 years, and often times, I have wondered where God was during these troublesome times.  As the pastor preached on Sunday, He is there in the midst of the storms of life, just as Jesus was in the boat asleep when the storms blew over the disciples fishing boat.  The disciples realized Jesus was asleep in the boat, and someone went to wake him.  And, the miracle of Jesus commanding the sea to calm was witnessed.

So, when we wonder where is God in our troubles, remember He is always there.  Ready and waiting for you to ask him to calm life's sea.

Life at 50

Turning 50 was a very traumatic time in my life.  My age has never bothered me, but it really hit me hard.  I'm 52 and a half, and just coming out of the daze, ready to take on life again.  I've mourned my age for 2 years!  Wasted 2 years of life on worrying about my age.  How vain.  But, that's another post.  (check out "Vain Worries.")

Back to turning 52....  Over the last few days, I've been looking back on my life.  In retrospect, I see where God intervened.  Did I notice?  Maybe!  Did I acknowledge?  Maybe?!  Was I grateful?  Maybe?!  But, I was relieved those times abated.

It's a fact, looking back

God's timing is not always on our schedule, but he is faithful.  God is good, all the time.  Cliche, perhaps, but oh so true is this powerful statement.  It is His nature to be good to his children, just as my parents were good to me, and your parents should have been, or were good to you!

I can remember my first car.  It was an ugly brown Datsun B210, but I loved it, especially the inside!  I named it La Cucaracha, because it was the color of a nasty brown cockroach.  However, it wasn't without a bit of disappointment that I chose that car from the 3 my dad decided he could afford.  Being the spoiled brat I was, I had my heart set on a 1979 white Toyota Corolla with navy interior.  Well, the preacher's eldest daughter got one.  I can remember the pangs of jealousy that plagued me at times until I completely fell in love with my Datsun.

It did dawn on the me the other day, that I bought a brand new navy blue Toyota Corolla with light gray interior in 2007 without even having a job.  God was good, and I got something that I wanted.  God gave me a heart's desire in HIS time instead of my time.

Another thing that popped into my mind was an event which occurred in 1987.  I was without a job at that time too.  My first husband had always wanted me to stay at home, but over the past few days had been trying to convince me to get a job.  I put it off as long as I could because his mother had had a stroke, and I was helping with her.  I thought it odd because we weighed the "working vs day care" situation many times, and staying home seemed the best option.

Well, I did find a job, one that I loved, and worked in the field for 20 years.  Retail!  I had great skin and was chosen to be a Clinique Counter Manager.  Just 4 days later, my husband left me.  I had no money, or access to the account, and no food for my son, and myself.  I'd not even worked long enough to get my first pay check.  I prayed Lord, please send me $1000.00.  Hefty prayer!

When the management heard about my dilemma, they told me of a fund for employees.  The hardship fund gave me two $500.00 checks during the first couple of months I worked there to get me on my feet.  God is good, all the time!

We got back together, blah, blah, blah, for a time, and when I finally went home, I was without a job AGAIN.  

I went with my sister to the unemployment office after she got laid off and we carried my two young sons, and my young nephew.  While sitting there waiting, God told me to go to a specific place to apply for a job.  Now remember, I had been working retail.  My reaction was, "Uh, God, I don't know how to type, remember?"  He said, "Go..."  So, leaving three young children, and teenage sister in the unemployment office, I set out across the street for the application to this organization.

When I got there, the lady I spoke with was the mother, and mother-n-law of two kids I had grown up with in school.  She helped me with the application, and the timed typing test revealed I had no clue how to type, as my fingers had been on the wrong keys the entire test!  She said not to worry because I could learn as I go, if I was hired.  

A few days later, I got a call from the supervisor of the department who remember meeting my friend and me at another venue the year before!  I interviewed with him, and my would-be immediate supervisor.  They told me they didn't know why they were interviewing me because I had no experience, but just wanted to meet with me to find out how things were going, and they had others to interview. (But, I knew!)

During that between time from the interview to the job offer, I prayed, "Lord, I need at least $1000.00 a month to cover day care for two children, gas, clothing, food, and something to give my mom for rent.  And, Lord, that has to be bring home, so actually it has to be more because of taxes, and health insurance."  

Less that two weeks after I moved home from a messy divorce, I was employed as a clerical assistant bringing home $1000.00 per month, and paid family insurance with no copays, a retirement plan, and an in-house credit union where I purchased my post-divorce car.  

The icing on the cake was the retail store had an opening in the customer service office, and I worked part time holidays, and weekends for extra income.  God is good, all the time!

There are so many more experience I can write about proving God's faithfulness, His goodness, His grace, His mercy, and everything good God provides.  Remember every good and perfect gift comes from the Father.  He can be your Father too!

Seek His face, Call upon the Lord, and the desires of your heart can be yours in His time.  

Love and Blessings!


No comments:

Post a Comment